Terms of Reference for Multicultural HIPPY Advisory Committee
The mandate of the Advisory Committee is to:
- Make recommendations on the vision and strategic direction for the Multicultural HIPPY Programs;
- Provide advice to the Director of Multicultural HIPPY Programs with respect to issues as they arise in the delivery of the Multicultural programs;
- Advise on and/or assist with fundraising for Multicultural HIPPY Programs, for example assist in the formation of Friends of HIPPY in their respective provinces and/or local HIPPY Programs as well as identify potential source of funding; and
- Build awareness of the Multicultural HIPPY Programs and their benefits for children, families and communities across Canada.
The membership on the Advisory Committee will be:
- One member who is also a member of the Board of Directors of HIPPY Canada, up to 7 members at large (from all provinces that have a HIPPY program and up to two staff (ex officio) from HIPPY Canada.
- Members will be appointed for a term of two years, with the possibility of serving another 2 years.
- The initial Advisory Committee will be established by the Director of Multicultural Programs, the National Training and Education Director and 3 HIPPY Managers from East, Central and West Canada. Once the originating Advisory Committee is in place, it will establish a Nominating Committee that will be responsible for identifying and recommending future members to the Advisory Committee.
- There will be no compensation for serving on the Multicultural HIPPY Programs Advisory Committee. If funding permits, members of the Advisory Committee may be compensated for the costs associated with attending meetings of the Advisory Committee.
- The Advisory Committee will elect among its members a chair and a recording secretary that will hold the posts for 2 years with the possibility of an extension for another 2 years.
Roles and Activities
The Chair and members of the Advisory Committee will:
- Hold an annual meeting in October every year in order to clarify any items the Committee wishes to raise with the HIPPY Canada Board of Directors
- Meet as required during the rest of the year, ideally at least once every quarter. These meetings will mostly be held by teleconference.
- The Chair will ensure that notice of all meetings is given to all Advisory Committee members a minimum of two weeks prior to the meeting, with the exception of any emergency meeting required for a specific purpose. In such cases, every effort will be made to make it possible for as many Advisory Committee members as possible to attend, whether in person or by teleconference.
- The Multicultural HIPPY Programs Advisory Committee will articulate annual goals for the Multicultural Programs, and will be responsible for confirming or revising them on an annual basis.
- The Multicultural HIPPY Programs Advisory Committee will assist in seeking sources of funding to support Multicultural HIPPY Programs nationally; and
- The Multicultural HIPPY Programs Advisory Committee will make an annual report on its activities to the Board of Directors of HIPPY Canada at the Annual General Meeting.
The Multicultural HIPPY Programs Advisory Committee will be supported by:
- The Director of Multicultural Programs in all coordination and preparation for meetings of the Advisory Committee;
- The Chair of the Committee.
Jennifer Watts, Immigrants Services Association of Nova Scotia
Halima Ali, Central Alberta Immigrant Women Association
Swedini Halliday, Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society
Sylvie Charlie-Karam, Working Women Community Centre
Darlene Gage, Mothers Matter Centre
Wazi Dlamini-Kapenda, Mothers Matter Centre